Thursday, May 21, 2015

Review: Ann Lewis' 2014 Family History Course

     A few short months ago, I was asked to do a presentation on Family History Research for the ladies in my Relief Society. I thought for sure that I wouldn't be able to do this presentation without having tears stream down my face. When I talk about Family History Research, and my passion for it, I just cry my eyes out. Before accepting to do this, I spoke with my husband about it. All he said was, "Jacque, just talk about the things that have helped you in your research. Don't share personal stories about your ancestors, because that's usually what makes you cry the most." I took his advice, and accepted the opportunity to speak to these ladies. I went in and did this presentation fearing that I would start crying, luckily, I only shed a few tears. {What a miracle that was for me!} I had felt very good about how the presentation went, and so did many of the ladies who approached me afterward. As I was cleaning up, another lady approached me. She thanked me for my presentation, and then shared with me something that I think would benefit all of you! She told me about a Family History Class that she had taken from an Ann Lewis in Orem, Utah. She explained to me that Ann was no longer teaching Family History, because she and her husband were called to be missionaries. She further explained that Ann Lewis had recorded each of her classes, and that these recordings were posted online. She then gave me a link to the recordings. The next few nights, I sat down and listened to Ann Lewis speak, and share her love of Family History Research. These recordings, for me, were so enlightening. I learned some great tips about journal writing, organizing your family's records, where to find records, and more importantly how to properly source your information. From this, I enjoyed learning of more ways to research my family. Believe me, when I say, I took a lot of notes from these recordings. I have referred to these notes while working on my family history since then. Whether you are just starting on your family history research, or you have spent years on your ancestral work, I encourage you to listen to these recordings. I can almost bet that you will learn something new, or get some great tips from Ann Lewis! I have been so impressed with these recordings that I have added this link to the top of my website and named it, "Class". I encourage you to visit this link, and listen to her advice and tips. I promise you will not regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips